Recently I found spell check not working in Google chrome and wondered why this had happened. It turns out chrome had updated to Version 22.0.1229.79 m and this broke the spell checker. I searched and searched for an answer on the web, but could not find a solution. Eventually, I decided to look into the settings and toy with it to see if it would help and it did!
I now have spell checking in Google chrome and the fix was very easy. In fact, I only had to change one option to get it to work again.
Here’s how I did it:
- Open Google chrome and go to the Settings
- Click Show advanced settings…
- Under Privacy uncheck Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors
- Refresh your tabs or just restart Chrome
- Spell checker should now work in Chrome